Monday, November 1, 2010

Appointment with Cardiologist Today

Good Day! I had my first appointment with a cardiologist today. His name is Dr. Dubey and he was very friendly and easy to talk to. He said that is is willing to do what he needs to to find out what is going on with me and that he wants to take it one-step-at-a-time. I am good with that.... I go next Thursday to get set with a heart monitor for a month and will be scheduled for a tilt table test in the meantime. He warned me that the table test is not a pleasant experience , yuck. It will tell me if I have POTS (Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome ?) or not.

*****Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome is defined by excessive heart rate increments upon upright posture. A person with POTS will experience heart rates that increase 30 beats or more per minute upon standing and/or increase to 120 beats or more per minute upon standing (Grubb, 2000). These exaggerated heart rate increases usually occur within 10 minutes of rising.

While the hallmark of POTS is an excessive heart rate increment upon standing, patients often exhibit numerous symptoms of autonomic nervous system dysregulation, and research by the Mayo Clinic suggests POTS is a limited autonomic neuropathy Many POTS symptoms seem to be caused by an imbalance of the autonomic nervous system's control over blood flow. It is the autonomic nervous system (ANS) that regulates the needed adjustments in vascular tone, heart rate and blood pressure upon standing. Some of the messages coming from the autonomic nervous system tell the blood vessels to relax or tighten. In people with POTS, the system seems to be out of balance and blood is not going to the right place at the right time to do what the body needs****

That may be the reason for the increased heart rate when I stand and also the flushing in my face (among a few other things). I am not sure of the treatment and how it may relate to the other illnesses I have, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Well, Goodbye for tonight. I have some motherly duties to perform....

Lori

No comments: